Skip to main content

transistor headphone amp

I must have repaired hundreds of amps over the last 30 years and I have collected a box full of 'japanese' transistors as a result of this. I also could do with a battery powered headphone amp to complete my mobile recording set.

Now, for the best result,  one could use an opamp and two 9 volt batteries and bob's your uncle.
However, it's more fun to cook something up with a few transistors.

Time for some design goals:

  • 9V NiMH battery power as I have a few laying around.
  • low idle current
  • must drive my 400 Ohm DT100
  • must accept -10 dBV levels


I used a topology similar to my transistor preamp.


There is no particular reason for the transistor selection other than that I had them at hand; The A970 and C1818 are low noise types and the C2229 and A948 are in fact high voltage types. I have no spice models for these transistors, I tweaked everything on a breadboard (the fun part of the project).

Power and low idle current do not go together very well in this design but with the given values I ended up with 2 mA of idle current.

I cannot compare with other cans but the DT100 is already loud enough with 0.3V . Time will tell but 10 dB of gain should be enough. The gain can easily be set by changing R5.


Using a toggle switch to power the box is not a good idea I'm afraid. When you throw this in a bag you can be certain that the battery will be flat when you take it out of the bag...
I decided to use a cheap 3X4 rotary switch to switch the power and use the 3 remaining positions to set the volume in  roughly 10 dB steps.


As usually I matched the resistors for the attenuator.

A quick check with rmaa

Ruler flat as expected, The top roll-off is due to the sound card. The -3 dB point is around 150 kHz.


Distortion is around 0.01 %


Crosstalk




battery management

The NIMH battery needs to be protected against undervoltage. As I understand it is not very good to drain it below 6.5V so I had to find a way to cut off the power. I could have used the little micro as in my battery box but since I had the cute battery meter I looked for something simpler. Also a micro defeats a bit the vintage spirit of the project.


I have a bag of BS250 P-mosfets and was about to breadboard something with zenerdiodes and what not.
when I discovered that it works fine with just a resistor divider. Using a trimmer I could easily find a suitable setting where the BS250 starts to cut out around 7V. Under 6.5 V it totally cuts off.

The battery meter kicks in at 6.8 V and I chose a resistor value to have the midpoint at 8.4 V.

Charging the battery with a fast charger (the recommended method for NiMH) was not an option as the case has no battery compartment. After some googling I chose to slow charge the battery at 0.05 C, while not ideal it is a safe method. The only drawback is that you better disconnect the power supply after a day of charging.
Max cell voltage for NiMH is 1.8 V, There are 7 cells so by using a 12 V power supply this upper limit cannot be reached.

The vintage style pointer knob completes the project.



Elsewhere on the net

cadac mixer schematics
amp design

Comments