Skip to main content

headphone toolbox

When setting up microphones it is handy to use headphones and for this a long cable is needed. It would  also be useful to use a microphone cable for this. I constructed a little box to do just that.



Just mounting some connectors would be boring so I added a 3 position switch to select both channels or only left or right. This could be useful to check a stereo pair.

Below is the schematic, there is nothing special to it.


I left out the link switch.  Obviously you also need a jack to xlr cable. I was tempted to sacrifice a jack to RCA cable for this but I measured the cable resistance to be over 10 Ohms (I think there is barely any copper in those cables). Not a very good idea in combination with 32 Ohm cans.

I checked one of my microphone cables and even for a 15m long cable the resistance was under 1 Ohm.

The box can also double up as a very basic DI box, say to pick up a remote line level signal.

Comments